SPECIALIZED PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Motor Vehicle Collision Reconstruction
- Occupant Injury & Safety
- Side Impact Collision Analysis
- Impact Biomechanics
- Seat Cushioning
- Restraint Assessment
- Computer Modeling
- Finite Element Analysis
Master of Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering), University of Waterloo, 2009
Thesis: “A Numerical Side Impact Model to Investigate Thoracic Injury in Lateral Impact Scenarios”
Bachelor of Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering), University of Calgary, 2005
Graduated with Distinction
Giffin Koerth Inc.
July 2009 – Present, Toronto
- Conducting and managing technical investigations primarily involving motor vehicle collision reconstruction, defects in mechanical equipment
- Vehicle mechanical fitness assessment
Department of Mechanical Engineering – University of Waterloo
September 2005 – September 2009
Developed and validated an original finite element model to investigate thoracic injury in side impact crash scenarios.
Investigated the significance of collision factors such as door to occupant distance, door velocity, seat foam stiffness, arm position, arm rest location, and restraint use on occupant injury in side impact collisions.
Performed compression tests at varying rates to characterize the material properties of automotive seat foams.
Department of Mechanical Engineering – University of Calgary
September 2004 - April 2005
Participated in the design of a custom test fixture developed to evaluate the biomechanical response of volunteers subject to the pre-tensioning of a motorized shoulder belt.
Contributed to the design of a custom 3-axis load cell to measure seat reaction forces.
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES / ASSOCIATIONS
- The Society of Automotive Engineers
AWARDS AND ACHIEVMENTS
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
- Presidents Graduate Scholarship
- Jason Lang Scholarship
- Academic All-Canadian
- University of Calgary Deans List
PUBLICATIONS / SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Campbell, B.M., Cronin, D.S., Salisbury, C.P, 2007, “High Rate Characterization of Automotive Seat Foams”, Society of Experimental Mechanics Conference, Springfield, MA, USA
- Campbell, B.M., 2009, “A Numerical Side Impact Model to Investigate Thoracic Injury in Lateral Impact Scenarios”, MASc Thesis, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada
- Campbell, B.M., Cronin, D.S., Deng, Y.C., 2009, “Coupled Human Body Side Impact Model to Predict Thoracic Injury”, 21st Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Conference, Stuttgart, Germany
- Watson, B., Cronin, D., Campbell, B., 2009, “Study of Vehicle Dynamics and Occupant Response in Side Impact Crash Tests”, 21st Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Conference, Stuttgart, Germany
- “Optimizing Automotive Seat Comfort and Safety A202-ASD”, Auto 21 Conference, London, ON, Canada
- “Optimizing Car Seat Comfort and Safety During Human/Car Seat Interaction”, Auto 21 Conference, Windsor, ON, Canada
- “High Rate Characterization of Automotive Seat Foams”, Society of Experimental Mechanics Conference, Springfield, MA, USA